France: The perpetual stranger

It took a school teacher for Fadela to realize she was not really French, despite having been born in the country and growing up there. I therefore wonder when was the first time she felt allegiance to Algeria.

-----

Fadela Amara, French Secretary of State for Urban Policies and former president of the organization Ni Putes Ni Soumises:

"I am the child of Algerians who have chosen to fight alongside the FLN for the independence of Algeria, I knew how to face this unfortunate parenthesis (sic) of France, which has humiliated the country and the people of my heart. But I also know that France is capable of being wonderful and that it represents so well the ideals of freedom and equality.

Yes, I am proud to be French, even if I did not choose to be. I have to admit: the first time I realized that I was a foreigner was when, at school, my teacher asked me to raise the hand. At the time, on counting the number of foreigners in the class. Very naturally I told him: 'But I was born in
France, I am therefore French'. 'No, you are called Fadella,' he replied, 'you are therefore foreign'. This episode marked me apart.

So, when I was 17, I asked for a residence permit to keep immigrant status, as my parents. I did not want to cut the umbilical cord with them. Fortunately, despite the awkwardness of this teacher, the republican school saved me. I learned that if we at home certainly live differently according to our traditions, the school had it as a mission to prepare us for our future as citizens.
"

Souce: Nouvel Obs (French), with thanks to La Yijad en Eurabia for the tip and help in translation

See also: France: 50% Algerian, 50% French

No comments: